Before proceeding, you MUST click here and read the 2019 Law Enforcement Examination Fact Sheet.
If you are applying for the Correctional Police Officer (Department of Corrections), please go to the Department of Corrections webpage https://www.state.nj.us/corrections/pages/careers2.shtml to review the Correctional Police Officer Questionnaire.
1. Applicants must be citizens of the United States as of August 31, 2019, except if you are only filing for Correctional Police Officer (Department of Corrections) or Correctional Police Officer Juvenile Justice Commission, where you must be a citizen of the United States as of the time of appointment.
2. Where hiring preferences apply, applicants must meet the residency requirements of the appointing jurisdiction as of August 31, 2019 and may be required to maintain continuous residency in that jurisdiction up to and including the date of appointment.
3. Applicants must be high school or vocational high school graduates, or possess an approved High School Equivalency Certificate by August 31, 2019.
4. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age as of August 31, 2019. Applicants for Municipal Police Officer and its bilingual variant positions cannot be over 35 years of age (one is considered over 35 on the day of his/her 35th birthday) as of August 31, 2019, unless they meet the exceptions in "Maximum hiring age requirement for Municipal Police Officer" as indicated on the Fact Sheet. NOTE: The age 35 maximum hiring requirement applies only to Municipal Police Officer and its bilingual variants.
5. Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
6. Appointees may be required to pass thorough medical and drug screenings, and psychological/psychiatric examinations. Failure of any of these is cause for removal from that title area.
7. Appointees will be required to successfully complete a training program mandated by the NJ Police Training Commission. This training must be completed prior to enrollment in the Police and Fire Retirement System.
8. After you complete and submit your online application, you will receive a confirmation page which includes information about the Administration Guide and the Preparation Guide. Please print your confirmation page to preserve this information.
Filing deadline is 4:00 pm on August 31, 2019.
An abbreviated application is used for this title. Information regarding education, experience, licenses/certifications, training or internships is not collected.
Customer Care and Technical Support: If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, customer care and technical support are available during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday, excluding holidays and emergency closings. Please email: OAS.email@example.com or call (609) 292-4144. Please note that application support requests received outside regular business hours on the closing date will not change the application filing deadline so PLEASE FILE EARLY.